My daughter, Marise, can survive on just this Beef Vegetable Medley Soup. She eats it like it was the best thing that happened to her taste buds. This is one of those lazy dishes that you can simmer in a crock pot or ordinary pot.
I’m excited to share with you my first YouTube video featuring this recipe!
Beef-Vegetable Medley Soup
This hearty soup is a one-pot meal of beef shank, potatoes, carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, barley, and pasta. Perfect for a lazy rainy day.
- 1 onion - quartered
- ¼ cup chopped celery
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- ½ kilo beef shank - cut into small cubes
- 12 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup pearl barley
- 1 cup potatoes - cubed ½ -inch size
- 1 cup carrots - cubed
- 1 cup broccoli - broken into small florets
- 1 cup cauliflower - broken into small florets
- 1 cup young baby corn - cut into ½ inch tubes
- ½ cups uncooked salad pasta
- 1 beef bouillon cube (optional)
- ⅛ teaspoon MSG (optional)
- fish sauce (patis) to taste
In a large casserole, over low fire, saute onions and celery in cooking oil.
When onions are slightly wilted, add beef cubes and brown a bit.
Pour in water. Add salt and pepper. Simmer until beef is very tender, about 2 hours.
Add barley, and simmer for another hour.
Add potatoes, and carrots, and simmer for 10 minutes
Then add broccoli, cauliflower, baby corn and pasta. Simmer for another 10 minutes.
Adjust seasoning and add dash MSG.
Updated on August 1, 2019 with video.