I like Ladies Lunch! It’s that time of bonding with women; sharing anything under the sun; be it bargains, husband/children/grandchildren, the latest show/movies, facial creams, warts and all. I like best the ones that you can truly be yourself; no masks, no shadows, no under ware! In one such “Ladies Lunch”, Anna Garcia McPherson served this salad and it hit the right spot in my palate. It has that cool and refreshing flavor, and a variety of texture. As usual I had to add my touch – the avocados.
Mexican Prawn Salad (Camarones A La Vinagreta)
A cool and refreshing salad topped with prawns and avocados with a lime dressing.
- ½ cup red onion – cut into small pieces
- ½ cup firm red tomato – seed, and cut into small squares
- 1 cup (about 5 pieces) red radishes, finely diced
- 1 cup of loosely packed fresh coriander – coarsely chopped
- 2 cups lettuce torn into small bits
- 1 avocado sliced into large strips or squares
- For cooking the prawns:
- 1 kilo fresh medium sized prawns – slit back of prawns and de-vein.
- 1 lime cut into two
- 1 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
- 1 – 2 bay leaves
- 1 liter of water
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 2 ½ tablespoons of freshly squeezed lime juice
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon rock salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Mix together in a bowl until salt dissolves and set aside.
Start with the prawns: Squeeze the two lime halves into a medium size saucepan, then add the two squeezed rinds, black peppercorns and bay leaves and 1 liter of water.
Cover and simmer over medium-low heat for 10 minutes.
Raise heat to high, add prawns, re-cover and let liquid return to boil.
Immediately remove the saucepan from the heat, hold the lid slightly askew and strain off all the liquid.
Re-cover tightly, set aside for 15 minutes, then rinse the prawns in cold water to stop cooking. Then peel prawns.
In a mixing bowl, put the red onion, tomato, radish, and coriander.
In another bowl, put prawns and dressing together and toss well. You can do this 15 minutes before serving.
When about to serve, mix together the vegetables and prawn mixture.
Line a shallow serving dish with lettuce leaves and place prawn salad on top.